Friday, November 18, 2005

the bridges of madison county.

this was written some time in autumn 2004, while I was at Kharagpur, India.

I read a book today. My first e-book, and the experience crushed to pieces my previous notions, that soft copies of even the best books cannot produce the same magical effect as their hard copies.
I was constantly being admonished by the sensible person in me, for reading a novel when my examinations are close, but then, there was no way of holding myself back…I was deeply engrossed in the story…I was in a trance!
The settings were just perfect to make my reading experience pleasurable and magical. A lovely evening breeze, soft lighting, absolute silence and Mr. Robert Kincaid and Mrs. Fransesca Johnson enacting their story in my presence. ‘The Bridges of Madison County’ right in front of my eyes.
Whether I liked the feel of the story or the depiction of true and intense love or the very characters, representative of the human mind at its crazy and passionate yet mature best, or the author’s marvellous comprehension of the working of the human mind, is unknown to me! All I know is a yearning, for the kind of life Mr. Kincaid lived before he met Mrs. Johnson, and a feeling of amazement that soul mates do locate each other after all. They probably meet at the most unexpected junctures and part no sooner than they meet, much to their agony, but meet nevertheless! It is the lucky few who get to spend a lifetime together!




3 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

The experience was almost the same in my perusal of Bridge Across Forever..and I came running down from the hall to discuss about it at night..

6:32 AM  
Blogger shrinivaz said...

I haven't read the book, but do you know that there really are a set of crazy 'Bridges of Madison County'...

google for 'em..they r worth it

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda had the same feeling when I read a couple of books...:-) and that too just before my semesters...continue the good writing.

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home